Friday, August 14, 2009

Brother Watch: Day Two

A slow and lazy day, here in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Little Bro had over a friend and they were up until 5:00 am playing video games and killing Nazis. (Sounds oddly familiar…)

So, I was up a little later than normal and slept a little later than normal. I was hard pressed to do much with the two 19 year olds snoring away, so it turned into not much more than a hangout day at home. I don't mind that - I mind the lack of fresh air. A/C on given the 90 degree weather. So, I hung out with the young men and had some very interesting conversations. Very impressed.

I did spend a lot of time today thinking about my Dad - and how much he has changed. He has been doing things that reveal more than I had expected given his recent Prostate Cancer diagnosis. I remember one person said to me that they had not seen my Dad in 20 years (this was about ten years ago) and in that time he had not changed. My immediate thought was that my Dad had never struck me as the 'evolutionary' type in his lifetime. That, however, has changed.

This is a man who is speaking to support groups. Entering chat rooms and finding others who have had experience with his surgeon. Talking to those with other treatment plans. Having lunch or dinner with these other cancer survivors he met online while on vacation. I couldn't be more prouder of his reaction to his diagnosis. Granted, my dad's cancer was caught very early, but he still could have gone the other way.

I'm so grateful to be at a point in my life where I can say I have probably had a good ten years of a good relationship with my Dad. That is a long time coming - and I know there is still a long time to go.

No comments: